• The move of Eco-Mods.com has taken place and the merge of our old officials forums is currently ongoing, read more here.

[Solved: Coming in 9.0] Requesting official Linux server support

Donne

Stone
Reaction score
Hello.

I think this game looks great. It looks fun and interesting. But since servers are needed, I do not understand why a Linux server hasn't been provided. I always make servers for my friends, but my entire server arsenal are filled with Linux servers. I have yet to meet a game that doesn't provide a Linux server.

I asked back when the game was pretty much just released, and was told that the codebase would be switching to .NET core, which would enable it to run on Linux. Seems this hasn't happened.

Are there any plans on making a Linux server any time soon? I need to know whether I should keep following this game or just write it out of my books.

And for everyone thinking of suggesting running it using Wine and Mono: Please don't. I have already read every single forum thread about the subject, and it looks like it's a standard Wine/mono experience: Bad, slow and only barely working.

Dennis

Copper
Community Manager
Reaction score
For Update 9.0 the server has been migrated to .NET Core 3.0 and can be run on any linux distribution using 'dotnet'. So, this is already done.

OP
Donne

Donne

Stone
Reaction score
This makes me very happy to hear! Looking forward to the announcement for the release date of Update 9.0 :)

Buying the game now!

Dennis

Copper
Community Manager
Reaction score
Oh, btw:
I have yet to meet a game that doesn't provide a Linux server.
Actually the majority of all games. Especially all of those you cannot host yourself, but need to buy a dedicated server somewhere (CoD, BF).
We'd also have Conan Exiles or 7DTD for a long time. Server Hosts increasingly only use Windows anymore due to the bad support ;)

Flocki

Stone
Reaction score
Will the server also run on ARM/ARM64 architecture on Linux or require x386? (I'd love to use my QNAP NAS, which is ARM64 based)

Dennis

Copper
Community Manager
Reaction score
It only runs on x86 and x64 architectures. A NAS wouldn't be powerful enough for a server anyway.

blingjug

Stone
Reaction score
ARM/ARM64 would be amazing. Could run it on my 8GB Raspberry Pi 4.
I see they are becoming a part of classroom tech these days too, could be very helpful, and would surely have the resources to host a server.

Dennis

Copper
Community Manager
Reaction score
As long as you don't have a 4 GHz CPU in your Raspberry, i highly doubt this.

blingjug

Stone
Reaction score
Given various other lower powered PCs I've used as servers have handled it fine, and even my main PC with a Ryzen 7 1700x barely tops out at 10% CPU on a single core when running the server at worst, and that runs between 3.4-3.8GHZ I'm not sure that the raw clock speed is such a concern. Mostly I've noticed read/write speeds on the drive it's hosted from have the most impact on in-game performance.

Optimizing the server for better use of multiple cores would also be a welcome improvement, but all games seem to suffer from multi-core/multi-threading optimization issues

Dennis

Copper
Community Manager
Reaction score
Well, you are free to try it out, but we have no plans for ARM64 support and support won't be given for such usecases either, as we strongly recommend to not use Eco Servers on that weak hardware.

blingjug

Stone
Reaction score
Hmm... I might give that a shot, will need to recompile it so need the source code.
Is the only way to access the source code still through the 'Developer' game purchase?

Top Bottom