New official forums for Eco

Due to human (non-bot) spam the first contribution of a user has to be reviewed and activated manually, all further contributions do not require this.
As long as a user does not have at least one reviewed and activated contribution, the user is unable to edit his profile, set a avatar, title picture or a signature.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Hello there, fellow Eco Citizens,
    as announced back in December last year, SLG has taken over the project "Eco-Mods.com" from @Looh and @mampf and this site is now under control of SLG.
    At the same time our official forums (ecoforums.strangeloopgames.com) now also redirects here. Both sites will now be merge over the coming weeks. Users of the old official forums do not have an account here and need to register a new one for now. If the old content will be merged, your accounts will only be merged if you use the same e-mail-address.

(Read more here: https://forum.play.eco/threads/eco-mo…1089/#post-3555)

I'll start with setting up a new board structure tomorrow, so until then, just post where you like and it seems to fit best. Over the coming weeks more stuff will be changed and adapted as required to have this forum serve as our official forums. We are also still investigating if this forum software suits our needs best or if a migration to a different one would be benefical to us in any way. It'll take me some time to get to know the current XenForo and make a sound decision.

In the time being, feel free to write down any feedback you have, what features you miss / want to see in this forums or anything else that comes to your mind.

I'll keep you updated as we go further.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That might be true, but the main aspect of this page in the future will be the use as official forums, so that's what will influence the decision most. Uploading Mods and keeping the modding aspect is definately a big goal too, but we likely won't be able to offer the service of checking all uploaded files in-depth anymore. Still better than the site vanishing.

There is only WBB as contestor at this moment anyway, as vB isn't something i'd use nowaday anymore. IPB i still like, but lacks some features i want and NodeBB was the worst software i ever used myself. (And 150 spam registrations a day would probably approve)

WBB offers a feature i really want - multilingual content. It offers the ability to only have a single board in which users can write in all languages and depending on the users settings he sees posts with the respective language. I really like that and prefer it over several categories for each language. Any idea if something like that is available for XenForo? (This site must go multilingual, at least german + english as those two are our main communities. I'd also like to add russian and other common languages, as long as we find people that can moderate those.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

But as i said, it'll be a while until any decision on that is made. I'll make sure to test with mod databases.
    Feel free to tell me what exactly you like about XenForo resource base, so i know what is important for you guys.

Just feel free to post any feedback. I want to try to get the best possible compromise between requirements we have for this being an official site and what you people need and want.

• Main features I like so far: (subjective list from my own perspective)

• main feature - not being this - example - this engine for the forums is truly horrid with constant scrolling to see the history is not very user friendly;
    • update of resource feature - ability to post change notes, upload new versions of the file without modifying much;
    • separate subtabs for discussion, installation guide, file updates, reviews, history;
    • nice cross-reliability between resources and links between them and resource tags;
    • clean, fast and clear front end.

Thanks for considering our feedback on this.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hey, we have something in common.
    I refuse to deem discourse with it's "infinite scrolling" a forum at all. ;)

In my opinion WBB would fit all these requirements, you can take a look at it here: https://community.woltlab.com/
    The resources of Woltlab have one disadvantage, their default listing method is not a list: https://pluginstore.woltlab.com/category-file-list/1100-plugins/

What i do like about their filebase is that older versions can easily be downloaded (i can't see that here) and that changelogs are directly connected with the version. I dislike the styling and that there is no functionality available to post just general "Updates", but the styling could be changed and we could surely find a solution for the general updates. (Though mostly updates here are used as changelogs, which it does support)

In general those two systems are VERY similar. I'm not sure who stole what from whom and when (;)), but the change wouldn't be very big. It offers a cool framework we can use to interconnect this page with our other pages, though. But Looh told me that they actually switched from WBB to XenForo for the resource database. So i'd like to hear as many opinions as possible on what modders want and need.

@Kye
    Thanks, i'll take a look.

• Hey, we have something in common.
    I refuse to deem discourse with it's "infinite scrolling" a forum at all. ;)

Agreed totally :)

But Looh told me that they actually switched from WBB to XenForo for the resource database. So i'd like to hear as many opinions as possible on what modders want and need.

If all other conditions are met company-policy wise and functionality of the forum, I would be for keeping Xenforo, but the engine linked by @Dennis also looks decent.

• "WBB offers a feature i really want - multilingual content. It offers the ability to only have a single board in which users can write in all languages and depending on the users settings he sees posts with the respective language."

How do you activate this or is it auto-von-matic?

• I received the following automated message after I have confirmed my e-mail address (from user Looh):

Zitat

Hello LiaraAlis!

Zitat

Welcome to the Eco Mods forums - the #1 Archive for Eco Mods. We hope you will enjoy your stay. Below you'll find a couple of posts and threads that might be useful to you.

Also keep in mind that Eco Mods is unaffiliated with Strange Loop Games.
    Last but not least, remember to treat everyone with respect.

Regards,
    Eco Mods Team

I think the text and included links should be updated. ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

As you might noticed, registrations are now closed.
    I'll be going to clean up a bit and remove all the spam users, banned users and users with invalid or spamcatch mails from the site, before migrating to WBB.

UPDATE:
    A total of 2040 users has been deleted, consisting of:
    52 rejected users (Mostly spammers)
    490 banned isers (Mostly spammers)
    1184 users without e-mail confirmation (Mostly spammers, but also a few from site errors, sorry for those!)
    10 users with trashmails
    304 users with spam in their profile
    ~100 more users that registered with spam intent, manually deleted

I could clean more stuff, but the rest is not any serious.

• Beitrag von rashijain9090 (11. Oktober 2020 um 05:31)

Dieser Beitrag wurde von Dennis aus folgendem Grund gelöscht: Spam (18. Oktober 2020 um 07:13).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!